Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rebelliousness Stunts Growth - Jason

Many times He would deliver them;
They, however, were rebellious in their counsel, And so sank down in their iniquity.

Nevertheless He looked upon their distress
When He heard their cry;

And He remembered His covenant for their sake, And relented according to the greatness of His lovingkindness.

(Psalm 106:43-45 NASB)

This psalm reflects on the repeated cycles of Israel's rebelliousness and the Lord's deliverances. They quickly forgot the miracles done in Egypt and rebelled by the Red Sea. They made a calf and worshiped this molten image. They even grumbled and despised the pleasant land. But what did God do? He showed compassion and His lovingkindness shone through. He had every right to cast judgment and punish His people but there was still a plan in place and His will, not our imperfections, will be done.

This passage reminds me of how easily I'm swayed by the currents of the sea. When one gust of wind hits me, I'm pushed one way then a crash of another wave pushes me another way. And with each force I get discouraged, wanting to call it quits or change my course. These distractions are stealing my attention away from God's purpose and making me focus on me, myself and I. Yes, God's lovingkindness is always present in my life but constantly losing focus or forgetting Him and His great works causes me to walk in circles instead of moving forward.

My life is full of tasks. I'm constantly doing things and I fool myself in thinking by keeping busy, in Jesus' name, will keep me in God's path. But like Mary & Martha, it's not about being busy all the time. It's about choosing what is better and we need to sit at the cross, spending time with Jesus. Enjoying His compassion and shelter is great but we also need to remember the amazing works & great things our Father has done.

All praise and glory to You, my Amazing King. Thank You for Your love and compassion, we would be nothing without it. Lord God, thank You for all You've done. Help me to remember You in all Your mighty works so that I won't fall away into rebellion and alter the path You've set me on. In the greatness of our King Jesus I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment